First games tentatively scheduled for May 1.
Plans for a 2021 season for WPBHL continue in the hope that the efforts to combat Covid 19, combined with seasonal effects, will mean we can get back on the floor. We will continue to look to local and provincial health boards as well as our provincial and national ball hockey associations for guidance. There is a strong possibility for relaxed restrictions and we want to be ready. Adjusted rules and gameplay designed to encourage physical distancing will be put in place but the first step towards a 2021 season is getting players registered.
While there are no guarantees, having numbers in place as well as funds in hand will allow for quick turnaround on permits, staffing and getting necessary equipment. We don’t want to waste a moment of the spring. We are planning towards a May 1st faceoff, giving us an 8 week season with 2 games a week.
- Returning Player (all Youth Divisions) opens March 20 at 8 a.m.
- New Player (all Youth Divisions) opens March 27 at 8 a.m.
- Returning Adult Player (Both Women and Men) opens March 20 at 8 a.m.
- New Adult Player (Both Women and Men) opens March 29 at 8 a.m.
- Returning Young Adult Player opens April 5 at 8 a.m.
- New Young Adult Player opens April 12 at 8 a.m.
- Special Needs Player Registration TBA
Covid Opt Out
We recognize that even with continued progress, some players will not be comfortable with any play. The league will allow you to protect your returning player status for the 2022 season by emailing the league at [email protected] and indicating you would like to “Opt Out for the 2021 Season” and plan to return in 2022. Deadline for Opting Out of the 2021 season (returning Players) is March 26, 2021, 11:59 pm.
- If 2021 season is cancelled, league fees will be refunded minus a $10 admin fee to our registration and payment system provider
- A pro-rated credit towards 2022 registration fees will be made if a significant number of games are missed
How to register
Register by clicking the link found in the upper right section of the WPBHL website. You will need a valid VISA, MasterCard or debit card (Interac) to register. We do not accept cheques.
- As a returning player you will be required to use last year’s e-mail to register. If you have changed e-mail addresses, please contact us by email ([email protected]).
- Returning players in all divisions EXCEPT Bantam and Junior are guaranteed team placement if they are registered prior to March 27, 8 a.m.
- Returning players in Bantam and Junior are NOT guaranteed team placement. Registration for returning players in those divisions is on a first come, first served basis
- New players will be required to create a new family account and/or player profile prior to registering.
All players are put on a waiting list until confirmation of payment and acceptance into the League. Payment does not constitute acceptance.
Once a division fills up, a limited waiting list will be put into place. In order to have a confirmed position on the waiting list the participant must be registered using our online registration system. You won’t be charged until you are placed on a team.
Check the league website for complete details on age and division breakdowns and equipment needs.Again this season, it is expected several divisions will be filled very early. Returning players in all divisions EXCEPT Bantam and Junior are guaranteed team placement if they are registered prior to March 27, 2021.
Youth all players $140
Adult Women $250
Adult Men $290
Young Adult $110
Special Needs $TBA
Coaches will be selected as soon as we get a go ahead. All players will be contacted by their coaches prior to the start of the season. Each player will receive a coloured T-shirt, a team photo, individual photo and a memento of the season.
CHANGES TO GAMEPLAY
Adjustments to increase safety, add physical distancing and reduce the opportunity for contact will be implemented. Adult divisions successfully experimented with the adjusted rules during Summer 2020.
- Pre-game health checks
- Additional sanitation on benches and common areas
- 3 rinks will be used – Withrow Park, Riverdale and Jimmie Simpson
- Divisions will be divided into “bubbles” of 4 teams with multiple bubbles per division as numbers warrant
- 12 runners per team to reduce crowding on bench
- “Shooter Tutor” style goaltender system will be used across divisions until the sharing of equipment is allowed
- No faceoffs. Rules will be in place to allow possession changes on icing and offside calls
- Penalties will result in penalty shot to avoid time in penalty box.
Championship Day – Unfortunately the bubble system will not allow us to create the kind of schedule leading to a true Champion at the end of the season. The board will plan for an end of season celebration with flags, smoke machines and music in order to finish off what will be a season we never forget.